Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Google OS on the way


We have seen Google literally explode as a company from being just a search engine to move on to bigger and better things by offering the best web based email ever (in my opinion), Chrome which is the best web browser (again my opinoin), offering up free document applications via the web, Instant Messaging, and much more.

We have seen the Android OS from Google being used on cellphones and now it seems that the company has their eyes set on our desktops. Google is working on a desktop OS according to Ars Technica. The software is named Google Chrome OS and will bring cloud-based, OS experiance build around the web browser. This is due out in the second half of 2010.

Personally, I love Google products and look forward to this new OS. Windows is really wearing on me after using it for so many years. I have watched it grow into a continually worse experiance and I am not a command line type of person so Linux does not interest me. Yes Linus has GUI interfaces, but I use them at work and you still are required to know a lot of command line to really use the system.

The Mac is something that I would like to try since I love my iPhone, but Apple products are so expensive so I look forward to what Google will bring to the game. The OS is going to be open source and lightweight, allowing users super quick access to the web.

Goolge claims that the OS will be virus free (the security architecture is entirely new), and run a newly-designed windowing system on top of a Linux kernel that will be compatible with x86 and ARM processors alike. Google says that Chrome OS is intended for "power computers ranging from small netbooks to full-size desktop systems."

Can Google grab a big chunk of the OS market? Can they be a threat to Apple and Microsoft? I say YES. They have become a name that everyone knows and I bet just about everyone uses some type of Google application today.

Bring it on Google, I look forward to trying it out.


No comments: