Monday, April 14, 2008

No more Logitech for me


OK, here is my first complaint blog and this time I am going after Logitech. If you are unfamiliar with this company, they are makers of keyboards, mice, remotes, etc.

I was always a fan of Microsoft mice and keyboards. A few years back Microsoft decided to change their mice and do away with their clicking scroll wheel. This was not good for me as I was a big time PC gamer and mostly played First Person Shooters (FPS). I would use the scroll wheel to change weapons. Well, without the clicking wheel, it was hard to make a change one or two weapons up or down because you had no click anymore. So I switch to a Logitech G5 Laser mouse (about $80 at the time). I also got a G15 Gaming Keyboard to replace the freebie that came with my PC.

The G5 was a decent mouse, but it did not last. After three months, the right mouse button no longer functioned. Now I will give kudos to Logitech for replacing it for free, but the replacement soon had issues as well (within 6 months). This time the mouse movement would become erratic and just stop functioning. I thought it was a driver issue so I updated the drivers but that did not resolve the issue. Turns out, banging the mouse on the desk would fix it for awhile. Hmmm, thats odd.

Eventually, I tossed it out and went back to a Microsoft mouse which I am much happier with.

Now, why the complaint against Logitech for one bad experience? Well, its not limited to just one. You see, I have also had issues with my PC locking up when I run audio or video. So I ran thru all the troubleshooting issues with no luck. Ended up rebuilding the PC and all seemed fine for a few months. Then the problem was back.

Turns out that when I would use the volume knob on the keyboard, it would lock up the PC. So it was not when I ran audio or video persay, it was in fact that when I ran those, out of habit I always lower the volume. So it was the volume knob killing my PC.

I removed that G15 keyboard, put on a plain cheap keyboard and all is well. So now I have removed all Logitech devices from my PC and it is working great.

But the story does not end there. You see, I also have two Logitech Harmony 880 remote controls. These things are meant to be top of the line all-in-one remotes. They are very nice (WHEN THEY WORK). See, very often my remote will just lock up. I have to put it on the cradle a few times to get it to basically reset itself for any of the buttons to work. GRRRRR. Very frustrating.

So needless to say, I am done with Logitech. They have gotten their last dime from me. I will stick to Microsoft mice and keyboards and just use the remotes that come with my devices or go buy a cheap $10 universal remote that will only require new batteries every once in awhile.

3 comments:

Seth said...

Dude, I think Logitech is the Shindizik. Microsoft is ruled by aliens
from the planet Zero. I think the problem was the "chair to pc
interface".

If you had bothered to even read the instructions on your Logitech
mouse manual, it clearly says to periodically slam your mouse down on your
desk. This will re-calibrate the algorithm sensors. DUH!

As for the volume control on your keyboard, again, it was clearly
explained (In The Manual) that using the volume knob while listening to
music or video's is strictly forbidden as the volume knob was merely a
"design" feature added to the keyboard for added novelty.

So the moral of the story is. Logitech RULEZ and Microsoft DROOLS. I think it can't be any more clearer than that.

Anonymous said...

Hey Wing,
This is the Tomato from WCG.

I use Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse on my old machine. Never had issues - any issues. They both work still and the Mouse is the only one I can use for prolonged times (like AutoCad) without my hand tiring. Sorry your's was a dud.

Also, I have a Harmony Remote and mine is a peach. It took a while for me to set it up properly but I now have convinced every one of my family to use it and they all are happy. It use to be one remote for the TV, one for the DVR another for my TIVO and a fourth for the Receiver. All those remotes have dead batteries now and I only use the Harmony. I've had it reset only once (actually that happened last night... hum...)

I no longer use any wireless stuff for gaming however. I bought a cheap ZBoard at Best Buy for $20 and it has dedicated keys on the left that are preset for whatever game I load up (usually BF2142.)

I also spent a few more $ for a Razer Copperhead Mouse with multiple sensitivity settings. Great for when you hop into a Tank and now can sping the Turret real fast..

I did buy a 360 but I can play anything but racing games on it since I can't stand the controller. I can use my Wheel when racing.

See you on the Battlefield, Wing.

Bob

Robert said...

I guess I'll add my complaint with a Logitech device that own. I bought the Logitech DriveFX racing wheel for the Xbox 360 for just un der 25 bucks. Everything works well EXCEPT for the left and right trigger buttons. The triggers don't work at all. For months I've been considering just going out and buying the Microsoft racing wheel.